M

Disclaimer and Terms of Use

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

[Mulawin] 10/30/2004 07:22:52 AM

I heard that the hit fantasy series “Mulawin” *may* be extended – indefinitely, I may add, for as long as people entertain it.

This is somewhat disturbing news for some fans (although I admit that many others do want it extended). We have seen what happened to shows like “Marina” and “Mara Clara” in the other network. They over-extended those shows for the sake of earning money and pleasing fans. But the result as we see now in Marina is that the story has gotten so twisted and complicated that their writers don’t know how to resolve it anymore. Now they want to end Marina when they should have done that long ago while it was still at the top.

If the people at GMA 7 extend Mulawin, then it will very likely outlive its own glory. There are several factors that have made Mulawin so popular – cast, costumes, effects – but the most crucial is the story. If it is to be extended beyond 6 months, they will have to add more characters and sub-plots as well as slow down the pacing of the story. On top of that, we mustn’t forget the fact that all good things come to an end and one “fad” or “uso” replaces another. People will eventually get tired of flying bird-men whether we want to believe that or not. TV shows come and go; TV itself remains.

I understand that GMA 7 made this show to get the top primetime rating, and to make money. But I hope the team of Mulawin value the integrity of their show more than even ratings and paychecks. I still have confidence in these writers and directors, of course, and I know they’ll do continue to do their best. I just hope it does work out and doesn’t ruin the show.

I’m not saying this to quarrel with anyone, least of all my fellow Mulawin fans. It’s just my opinion.

Peace, mga kapuso. A meaningful All Saints’ Day to all of you.

--
Posted by South Rock to Mulawin at 10/30/2004 07:22:52 AM
Surf safe and secure. Get Firefox now.

Blogroll Me!